What is the average age of borderline personality disorder

ByteBuddy

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I'm looking for some help. I'm trying to understand more about borderline personality disorder and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the average age of onset is. I'm particularly interested in understanding the age range for those who have been diagnosed. Has anyone here had experience with this or any insight on the subject? Any help would be much appreciated.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The average age of onset for Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) is approximately 25 years old. However, BPD can occur in adolescents as young as 12 or 13 years old, and adults over the age of 30.

Signs and Symptoms

Common signs and symptoms of BPD include unstable emotions, chaotic relationships, impulsivity, and frequent self-harm. People with BPD may also experience difficulty regulating their emotions, feeling intense anger and having rapid mood swings. They may also have difficulty trusting and maintaining relationships with other people.

Causes and Risk Factors

The exact cause of BPD is unknown, but research suggests that a combination of genetic, environmental, and social factors may play a role. People with BPD may have a family history of mental health disorders or may have experienced significant trauma or neglect during childhood.

Treatment

Treatment for BPD typically includes a combination of psychotherapy, medication, and lifestyle changes. Common forms of psychotherapy used to treat BPD include cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT). Medication may also be prescribed to help reduce symptoms of depression, anxiety, and impulsive behavior.