What is Stage 1 birth asphyxia

DreamWeaver

Hello everyone! I'm new here and I was hoping to get some help on a topic I came across recently. What is Stage 1 birth asphyxia? I was reading a medical article and the term came up, but I'm not sure what it is or how to identify it. Can anyone here help me out? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Stage 1 birth asphyxia (also known as mild birth asphyxia) occurs when a baby experiences oxygen deprivation during the birthing process. This can be caused by a variety of issues, including umbilical cord problems, fetal distress, or a prolonged labor. Symptoms of mild birth asphyxia can include low birth weight, jaundice, weak muscle tone, and seizures. Treatment for mild birth asphyxia may include oxygen therapy, resuscitation, and monitoring for any further complications. In some cases, a baby may require a longer hospital stay to ensure their condition is stable. If the condition is severe, the baby may need to be transferred to a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) for further monitoring and treatment.