What is Sherlock Holmes mental illness

DreamWeaver

I'm really interested in learning more about Sherlock Holmes' mental illness, and I'm looking for help from the forum community. Has anyone here done any research on this topic? I've read that Sherlock Holmes suffers from a severe form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), but I'm not sure how accurate that is. What other mental health issues might he have? Are there any known treatments that he may have tried? I'd love to hear people's thoughts and experiences on this topic.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Sherlock Holmes, the fictional detective created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, is widely believed to suffer from a mental illness. However, there is no definitive answer as to what that illness might be. Some scholars have suggested that Holmes may have been suffering from a form of Obsessive–Compulsive Disorder (OCD), while others have argued that he may have been dealing with an undiagnosed form of Asperger Syndrome.

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder which is characterized by recurring and intrusive thoughts, feelings, and images (obsessions) and repetitive behaviors or mental acts (compulsions). Common obsessions in OCD include contamination, symmetry, and aggression. People suffering from OCD may experience an urge to wash their hands repeatedly, check locks numerous times, or count objects in a ritualistic manner.

Sherlock Holmes exhibits several of the symptoms associated with OCD, including a preoccupation with order and cleanliness, as well as a tendency to repeat certain actions, such as his use of the phrase “Elementary, my dear Watson”. He is also frequently described as being extremely detail-oriented, which is another symptom of OCD.

Asperger Syndrome

Asperger Syndrome is a form of autism spectrum disorder that is characterized by difficulty interpreting social cues, difficulty forming relationships, and a preoccupation with a single subject or activity. People with Asperger Syndrome often have difficulty with eye contact, prefer to engage in one-sided conversations, and may have an intense focus on a particular topic.

Sherlock Holmes exhibits many of the symptoms associated with Asperger Syndrome, including a lack of empathy, an inability to form relationships, and an obsession with solving cases. He also has an intense focus on details and is often single-minded in his pursuit of a case. In addition, Holmes often has difficulty interpreting social cues and struggles to understand why others may not share his enthusiasm for solving mysteries.