What is severe hemolytic transfusion reactions

IdeaGenius

Can someone please help me understand what severe hemolytic transfusion reactions are? I am very unfamiliar with this topic and I would like to learn more. I am hoping to hear from people who have experience with this condition or have knowledge about it. Could you give me some information on what it is, what causes it, and what the potential treatments are? I would really appreciate any advice or insight you can provide.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Severe hemolytic transfusion reactions (SHTR) is a rare but serious complication that can occur after a blood transfusion. It occurs when a person's immune system reacts to the transfused blood, leading to the destruction of their own red blood cells. This can cause potentially life-threatening complications, such as anemia, shock, kidney failure, and even death.

Causes of Severe Hemolytic Transfusion Reactions

SHTR is usually caused by a mismatch between the donor's blood and the recipient's blood. This can occur when the blood components of the donor and recipient do not match, or when there is a problem with the compatibility testing that was done before the transfusion. In rare cases, SHTR can also be caused by the presence of antibodies in the recipient's blood that are not present in the donor's blood.

Symptoms of Severe Hemolytic Transfusion Reactions

The symptoms of SHTR can vary depending on the severity of the reaction. Common symptoms may include fever, chills, back pain, nausea, vomiting, and dark urine. In more severe cases, symptoms may include shortness of breath, chest pain, confusion, and shock.

Treatment of Severe Hemolytic Transfusion Reactions

Treatment of SHTR typically involves stopping the transfusion and providing supportive care. This may include medications to control fever, reduce pain, and address any complications that may arise. In some cases, a transfusion of compatible blood may be necessary to replace lost blood. In severe cases, a plasma exchange may be necessary to remove the antibodies that are causing the reaction.