What is severe hemolytic disease of the newborn

CuriousCat

"Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm looking for more information about severe hemolytic disease of the newborn and I was wondering if anyone here has any knowledge about it?

I've read on some medical sites that it is a serious blood disorder that occurs when an infant's blood type is incompatible with their mother's, but I'm interested in learning more about the symptoms, diagnosis, and possible treatments.

If anyone has any experience, advice, or resources they can share with me, I would really appreciate it.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Severe hemolytic disease of the newborn (HDN) is a condition in which red blood cells in the newborn baby’s body are destroyed (hemolyzed) by certain antibodies passed from the mother during pregnancy. It is a serious condition that can cause anemia, jaundice, and even death in newborns.

Causes of Severe HDN

Severe HDN is caused by an incompatibility between the mother’s and baby’s blood types. The mother’s blood type may be Rh-negative and the baby’s Rh-positive. When this happens, the mother’s body produces antibodies against the baby’s Rh-positive red blood cells. These antibodies pass through the placenta to the baby’s bloodstream, where they attack and destroy the baby’s red blood cells.

Symptoms of Severe HDN

Symptoms of severe HDN can include jaundice, anemia, and enlarged spleen and liver. Jaundice is a yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes. Anemia is a low level of hemoglobin in the blood, which can cause fatigue and difficulty in breathing. An enlarged spleen and liver can cause abdominal pain and swelling.

Treatment of Severe HDN

Treatment of severe HDN typically involves a combination of phototherapy and exchange transfusions. Phototherapy involves exposing the baby to special lights that help breakdown the bilirubin in the baby’s blood. Exchange transfusions involve replacing the baby’s blood with donor blood that is compatible with the baby’s blood type.

Severe HDN is a serious condition that can have serious consequences for newborn babies. It is important for pregnant women to be aware of the potential for HDN and to discuss it with their healthcare provider in order to reduce the risk of severe HDN in their babies.