What is severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 or SARS-CoV-2

measqu

I am really struggling to understand what severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) is and how it affects people. Can anyone explain this to me in simple terms? I am looking for answers that will help me understand the basic facts about this virus and how it is transmitted. I would be very grateful for any help or advice that other forum users can provide.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) is a novel virus that causes the disease known as coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). It is a coronavirus, which is a type of virus that can cause a range of illnesses, from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) and SARS. SARS-CoV-2 is a new strain of coronavirus that has not been previously identified in humans.

Structure and Characteristics of SARS-CoV-2

SARS-CoV-2 is a single-stranded, positive-sense RNA virus. It has a helical capsid that is composed of protein subunits, and its genome is approximately 30,000 bases long. The virus has four major structural proteins: the envelope, the nucleocapsid, the membrane, and the spike. The spike protein is the most important, as it is responsible for attaching the virus to host cells and allowing it to enter them.

Transmission of SARS-CoV-2

SARS-CoV-2 is primarily spread through the air as particles from an infected person’s respiratory system, such as in a cough or a sneeze. It can also be spread through contact with contaminated surfaces or objects, and from person to person.

Symptoms of SARS-CoV-2

The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Other symptoms can include aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat, and diarrhea. In severe cases, the virus can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure, and even death.

Prevention and Treatment of SARS-CoV-2

The best way to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2 is to practice good hygiene and social distancing. This includes washing your hands often, avoiding touching your face, and avoiding close contact with people who are sick. There is currently no vaccine or specific treatment for SARS-CoV-2, but treatments for the symptoms are available.