What is secondary immune mediated hemolytic anemia

DreamWeaver

"Hello everyone! I'm new here and I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question, but I'm hoping to get some help. I'm trying to understand more about secondary immune mediated hemolytic anemia and I'm wondering if anyone here could help me out? I'm interested to know what causes it, what the symptoms are, and what kind of treatment options are available.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Secondary immune mediated hemolytic anemia (SIMHA) is a type of anemia that is caused by the body’s own immune system attacking and destroying red blood cells. The red blood cells are destroyed much faster than they can be replaced, leading to a decrease in the number of red blood cells in the body. This can cause a variety of symptoms, including fatigue, shortness of breath, pale skin, and jaundice.

Causes of Secondary Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia

SIMHA is caused by the body’s own immune system attacking and destroying red blood cells. This can happen when the body is exposed to certain medications, infections, or cancer. In some cases, the cause of SIMHA may not be known.

Diagnosis of Secondary Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia

SIMHA is usually diagnosed by a doctor through a physical exam, blood tests, and other tests. During a physical exam, a doctor will look for signs of anemia, such as pale skin, jaundice, or fatigue. Blood tests can be used to check the number of red blood cells and other markers of anemia. Other tests, such as a bone marrow biopsy, may be used to determine the cause of SIMHA.

Treatment of Secondary Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia

Treatment for SIMHA usually involves medications to reduce the body’s immune response and help the body produce new red blood cells. In some cases, a blood transfusion may be necessary. If the cause of SIMHA is known, such as a medication or infection, it may be necessary to stop taking the medication or treat the infection. In some cases, a stem cell transplant may be necessary.