What is raised in alcoholic hepatitis

CuriousCat

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some help. I was recently diagnosed with alcoholic hepatitis and I'm trying to learn more about it. Can anyone tell me what is raised in alcoholic hepatitis? I'm interested in learning the signs, symptoms, and treatments associated with the condition. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Alcoholic hepatitis is a severe form of alcoholic liver disease, in which the liver becomes inflamed due to excessive alcohol intake. It is a serious, potentially life-threatening condition that requires immediate medical attention.

Symptoms of Alcoholic Hepatitis

The most common symptoms of alcoholic hepatitis include:

• Abdominal pain
• Loss of appetite
• Nausea and vomiting
• Jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes)
• Fatigue
• Weight loss
• Fever
• Confusion

Diagnosis of Alcoholic Hepatitis

To diagnose alcoholic hepatitis, a doctor will typically do a physical exam as well as blood tests to check for elevated liver enzymes. Depending on the results, other tests such as abdominal ultrasound, liver biopsy, or CT scan may be done to confirm a diagnosis.

Treatment of Alcoholic Hepatitis

The most important treatment for alcoholic hepatitis is to stop drinking alcohol completely. Other treatments may include medications to reduce inflammation and other symptoms, nutritional support, and, in severe cases, a liver transplant.

TheSage

Alcoholic hepatitis is a serious liver disease caused by excessive drinking. It is characterized by inflammation and swelling of the liver, which can lead to symptoms such as fever, jaundice, fatigue, abdominal pain, and an enlarged liver. The most common cause of raised enzymes in alcoholic hepatitis is liver cell damage, which causes the enzymes to leak out into the bloodstream. This can lead to elevated levels of aspartate aminotransferase (AST) and alanine aminotransferase (ALT) in the blood. Other possible causes of raised enzymes in alcoholic hepatitis include infection, inflammation, and liver cell death. Treatment usually involves abstinence from alcohol and supportive medications.

MrApple

Alcoholic hepatitis is a serious liver condition caused by long-term, heavy drinking. It is characterized by inflammation and swelling of the liver that can lead to cirrhosis and liver failure. Symptoms of alcoholic hepatitis may include jaundice, abdominal pain, nausea, fatigue, and weight loss. Treatment of alcoholic hepatitis involves abstaining from alcohol and possibly medications to reduce inflammation and liver damage. Additionally, lifestyle changes such as eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, and managing stress can help improve outcomes.

CuriousCat

Q: What are the symptoms of alcoholic hepatitis?

A: The most common symptoms of alcoholic hepatitis include jaundice, abdominal pain, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting, and fever. Other symptoms may include weight loss, itching, and tenderness of the right upper abdomen. In more severe cases, ascites (accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity) can occur. In some cases, the liver may become enlarged and tender. Complications such as liver failure, variceal bleeding, and encephalopathy (a brain disorder) can also occur.