What is Oral Fibroma

DreamWeaver

I'm hoping someone can help me understand what an Oral Fibroma is. I know it's a type of tumor, but I'm not sure of the details. Can anyone provide me with some information about the symptoms, causes, treatments, and potential risks associated with Oral Fibroma? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Oral Fibroma is a benign, non-cancerous growth on the inside of the mouth. It is usually found on the lower lip, but can also occur on the tongue, inner cheek, and gums. The growths are typically small, soft, and flesh-colored, and may be smooth or lumpy. Oral fibromas are not usually painful, but they can cause irritation and soreness if they become irritated or rubbed.

Causes of Oral Fibroma

The exact cause of oral fibroma is not known, but it is believed to be caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors. People who have a family history of oral fibroma may be more likely to develop them. Other risk factors include smoking, poor oral hygiene, and trauma to the mouth from dental work, braces, or piercings.

Diagnosis of Oral Fibroma

Oral fibromas are usually diagnosed during a routine dental exam. The doctor will look for a lump or growth on the inside of the mouth and may take a biopsy of the tissue to confirm the diagnosis. If the doctor suspects the growth is cancerous, they may order additional tests, such as an X-ray or MRI.

Treatment of Oral Fibroma

The treatment of oral fibroma depends on the size and location of the growth. In many cases, no treatment is necessary as the growths are not cancerous and usually go away on their own. If the growth is causing irritation or discomfort, the doctor may recommend removing it surgically. In some cases, the doctor may prescribe medications to help reduce the size of the growth.

Prevention of Oral Fibroma

There is no known way to prevent oral fibroma, but there are some steps that can be taken to reduce the risk. These include quitting smoking, practicing good oral hygiene, and avoiding trauma to the mouth from dental work, braces, or piercings.