What is mouth cancer

ByteBuddy

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping that someone can help me out with some information. I recently heard about mouth cancer and I'm really curious to learn more about it. Can anyone provide me with some information about what mouth cancer is and what the prognosis is like? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Mouth cancer, also known as oral cancer, is a type of cancer that affects any part of the mouth, including the lips, tongue, gums, salivary glands, and throat. It is usually caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors, such as smoking, drinking alcohol, and being exposed to certain viruses. Symptoms of mouth cancer include a sore or ulcer that does not heal, a lump or thickening in the cheek, and trouble swallowing or chewing. Treatment options include surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.

Risk Factors of Mouth Cancer

Mouth cancer is most commonly caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Risk factors for mouth cancer include smoking, drinking alcohol, being exposed to sunlight for long periods of time, a poor diet, and certain viruses. People with a family history of mouth cancer are also at an increased risk.

Symptoms of Mouth Cancer

The most common symptom of mouth cancer is a sore or ulcer that does not heal. Other symptoms can include a lump or thickening in the cheek, a white or red patch in the mouth, difficulty swallowing or chewing, a sore throat that does not go away, and pain or numbness in the mouth or lips.

Diagnosis of Mouth Cancer

If a person has any of the symptoms of mouth cancer, they should see a doctor right away. A doctor will perform a physical exam and may order tests such as an X-ray, CT scan, MRI, and biopsy.

Treatment of Mouth Cancer

Treatment for mouth cancer depends on how advanced the cancer is. Treatment options include surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy. Surgery may be used to remove cancerous tissue, while chemotherapy and radiation therapy are used to kill cancer cells. In some cases, a combination of treatments may be used.