What is malignancy associated microangiopathic hemolytic anemia

DigitalExplorer

Hello everyone! I was recently researching malignancy associated microangiopathic hemolytic anemia and had some questions I'm hoping someone can help me with. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this condition? What are the symptoms and how is it diagnosed? What treatments are available? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Malignancy associated microangiopathic hemolytic anemia (MAMHA) is a rare type of hemolytic anemia that is caused by the breakdown of red blood cells by a malignancy. This type of anemia is usually seen in patients with advanced cancers or other malignancies. It can also be caused by certain medications, infections, or other conditions. The symptoms of MAMHA include fatigue, shortness of breath, paleness, and dark urine. Treatment of MAMHA usually involves treating the underlying cause of the anemia.

Causes of MAMHA

MAMHA is caused by a malignancy that is breaking down red blood cells. The malignancy can be a primary cancer, such as lung, breast, or colorectal cancer, or it can be a secondary malignancy, which is a cancer that has spread from another part of the body. MAMHA can also be caused by some medications, like chemotherapy, or infections, such as HIV or hepatitis. In some cases, MAMHA can also be caused by certain conditions, such as lupus or thrombocytopenia.

Symptoms of MAMHA

The most common symptom of MAMHA is fatigue. Patients may also experience shortness of breath, paleness, and dark urine. Other symptoms may include fever, chills, weight loss, and an enlarged spleen.

Diagnosis of MAMHA

To diagnose MAMHA, a doctor will perform a physical exam and order a complete blood count. The doctor may also order a bone marrow biopsy and other tests to look for the underlying cause of the anemia.

Treatment of MAMHA

The treatment of MAMHA depends on its underlying cause. For instance, if the anemia is caused by a malignancy, the treatment will involve treating the cancer. If the anemia is caused by a medication, the doctor may recommend stopping or changing the medication. If the anemia is caused by an infection, the doctor may prescribe antibiotics. In some cases, a blood transfusion may be necessary.