What is late response allergic rhinitis

DreamWeaver

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this - I'm trying to understand what late response allergic rhinitis is. Is it an allergic reaction to something that happens after exposure to an allergen? Does it differ from other types of allergic rhinitis? What are the symptoms? Can it be managed at home or should I seek medical advice? Any help would be much appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Late response allergic rhinitis (LAR) is a type of allergic rhinitis which is caused by a delayed reaction to allergens. Allergic rhinitis is an inflammation of the nasal passages which is triggered by an allergen, such as pollen or dust mites. In normal cases, the body's immune system responds to the allergen within minutes of exposure, but in some cases, the reaction may be delayed for hours or even days. This delayed reaction is what is known as late response allergic rhinitis.

Symptoms of LAR include runny nose, itchy eyes, sneezing, congestion, coughing, and fatigue. For some people, the symptoms may be so severe that they may need to seek medical help.

Treatment for LAR typically involves avoiding triggers, such as pollen or dust, and taking antihistamines or nasal sprays to reduce symptoms. In some cases, immunotherapy may be recommended. This is a type of therapy that helps the body become less sensitive to the allergens it is exposed to.

Prevention

There are a few steps you can take to help prevent late response allergic rhinitis. These include:

- Avoiding known triggers, such as pollen or dust

- Wearing a mask and protective clothing when outdoors

- Keeping windows and doors closed when possible

- Keeping pets outside or in another room

- Vacuuming regularly to reduce dust

- Taking steps to reduce mold and mildew in your home

- Taking medications as prescribed by your doctor

- Keeping your home and workplace clean and free of dust and other allergens

- Taking steps to reduce stress, such as exercising regularly and getting enough sleep

By following these steps, you can help reduce your risk of developing late response allergic rhinitis.