What is late phase response Type 1 hypersensitivity

CuriousCat

Hello everyone! I'm hoping to get help with a medical question about late phase response Type 1 hypersensitivity. I recently read about it but I'm still confused about what it is and how it works. Can anyone explain it to me in simple terms? Is there anything I should know about it before I go to my doctor and ask questions? Any advice would be appreciated.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Late phase response Type 1 hypersensitivity (LPR-T1H) is a form of allergic reaction that is characterized by symptoms that arise several hours after exposure to an allergen. Symptoms of LPR-T1H can include itchy eyes, nasal congestion, sneezing, coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. It is a type of Type 1 hypersensitivity (IgE-mediated) allergic reaction.

What Causes LPR-T1H?

LPR-T1H is usually caused by an allergen that is inhaled, ingested, or comes into contact with the skin. Common allergens that can cause LPR-T1H include pollen, dust mites, pet dander, mold spores, and certain foods.

What Are the Symptoms?

The symptoms of LPR-T1H usually begin 4-8 hours after exposure to an allergen and can last up to several days. The most common symptoms include itchy eyes, nasal congestion, sneezing, coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath.

How Is It Diagnosed?

LPR-T1H is usually diagnosed based on a patient’s medical history and physical examination. Blood tests may also be used to measure IgE levels.

How Is It Treated?

The treatment of LPR-T1H depends on the severity of the symptoms. The most common treatments include antihistamines, decongestants, and corticosteroids. In some cases, immunotherapy may be recommended.