What is jaw arthritis

CuriousCat

Hi everyone! I'm new here and I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I've been having some pain in my jaw recently and my doctor mentioned something about jaw arthritis. I'm not sure what that is or how it can affect me, so if anyone has any knowledge of jaw arthritis I'd really appreciate any information you could give me.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Jaw arthritis, also known as temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder, is a condition that affects the jaw joint and surrounding muscles. It can cause pain, discomfort, and restricted movement in the jaw. The jaw joint connects the lower jaw to the skull. It is a small joint that allows the jaw to move up and down and side to side.

Causes of Jaw Arthritis

Jaw arthritis can have many causes, including:

- Injury to the jaw or surrounding muscles

- Stress, which can lead to teeth grinding or clenching

- Arthritis, such as rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis

- Infection in the jaw joint

- Misalignment of the teeth or jaw

Symptoms of Jaw Arthritis

The most common symptoms of jaw arthritis are pain and difficulty moving the jaw. Other symptoms may include:

- Pain in the face or neck

- Pain or stiffness when chewing

- Pain or a clicking sound when opening the mouth

- Limited ability to open or close the mouth

- Swelling in the face

Treatment Options

Treatment for jaw arthritis depends on the underlying cause. Treatment options may include:

- Medication, such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or muscle relaxers

- Physical therapy

- Hot or cold compresses

- Surgery to repair the jaw joint

- A splint or mouth guard to reduce teeth grinding and clenching

In some cases, jaw arthritis can be managed with lifestyle changes, such as avoiding hard or chewy foods and reducing stress.