What is in an autoimmune screen

DreamWeaver

Hello everyone!
I am new to this forum and I am looking for help with understanding autoimmune screening. I am not sure what is included in an autoimmune screen, or if there are different types of tests available. Could someone please provide me with some information and guidance about this topic? I would really appreciate it.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
An autoimmune screen is a specialized laboratory test that looks for autoantibodies, which are molecules produced by the body when it mistakenly attacks its own tissues. The test is used to help diagnose an autoimmune disorder, such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, type 1 diabetes, or multiple sclerosis. It can also be used to monitor the progress of a known autoimmune disorder.

Subheading What is Tested?

The autoimmune screen looks for autoantibodies that are produced when the body mistakenly attacks its own tissues. These autoantibodies can include:

• Antinuclear antibodies (ANA)
• Anti-double stranded DNA (anti-dsDNA)
• Anti-thyroglobulin antibodies
• Anti-thyroid peroxidase antibodies (anti-TPO)
• Anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies (ANCA)

Subheading How is the Test Performed?

The test is typically performed with a blood sample, which is sent to a laboratory for analysis. The laboratory will look for the presence of autoantibodies in the sample. If the results show that the autoantibodies are present, it could be a sign of an autoimmune disorder.

Subheading What Do the Results Mean?

The results of the autoimmune screen can help diagnose an autoimmune disorder or monitor the progress of an existing condition. If the results are positive, it could mean that the person has an autoimmune disorder, but more tests may be needed to confirm the diagnosis. If the results are negative, it could mean that the person does not have an autoimmune disorder, but it does not completely rule it out.