What is immune hemolytic anemia classification

DigitalExplorer

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for some help understanding immune hemolytic anemia classification. I'm having difficulty understanding the different types and how they are classified.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Immune hemolytic anemia (IHA) is a type of anemia caused by the destruction of red blood cells (RBCs) by the body's own immune system. It is classified into two types: autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) and alloimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA).

Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia (AIHA)

Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) is a type of IHA caused by the production of autoantibodies against RBCs. These autoantibodies attach to RBCs and cause them to be destroyed by the body's own immune system. AIHA is further classified into two types: warm AIHA and cold AIHA, depending on the temperature at which the autoantibodies are most active.

Warm Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia (WAIHA)

Warm autoimmune hemolytic anemia (WAIHA) is a type of AIHA in which the autoantibodies are most active at temperatures higher than 37°C (98.6°F). WAIHA is often caused by underlying conditions such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and infections.

Cold Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia (CAIHA)

Cold autoimmune hemolytic anemia (CAIHA) is a type of AIHA in which the autoantibodies are most active at temperatures lower than 37°C (98.6°F). CAIHA is usually caused by underlying conditions such as chronic lymphocytic leukemia and lymphoma.

Alloimmune Hemolytic Anemia (AIHA)

Alloimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) is a type of IHA caused by the production of antibodies against RBCs from another person or animal. These antibodies are produced in response to a transfusion of mismatched blood, or when a pregnant woman is exposed to her baby's blood. AIHA is further classified into two types: acute AIHA and chronic AIHA, depending on the duration of the disease.