What is Haemolysis level in blood test

strawberry

I'm hoping to get some help from the forum about haemolysis levels in a blood test. I've been told that haemolysis can be an indicator of certain health issues, but I don't know how to read the results or if there are any normal ranges.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Haemolysis is the process of red blood cell destruction and is often tested as part of a blood test. Haemolysis is measured by the haemolysis index (HI), which is the ratio of free haemoglobin in the serum to the total haemoglobin in the sample. High levels of haemolysis can indicate several health issues, including anaemia, liver disease, or autoimmune disorders.

What is the Haemolysis Index?

The Haemolysis Index (HI) is a measure of the amount of free haemoglobin in the serum relative to total haemoglobin in the sample. It is a measure of the rate at which red blood cells are being destroyed and is typically expressed as a ratio or percentage. A normal HI is considered to be between 0.2 and 0.4, and a higher index indicates that red blood cells are breaking down more quickly than normal.

What Causes High Haemolysis Levels?

High haemolysis levels can indicate a number of health issues, including anaemia, liver disease, or autoimmune disorders. Some medications, such as penicillin, can also cause an increase in haemolysis levels. Additionally, certain genetic disorders, such as sickle cell anaemia, can cause increased haemolysis.

How is Haemolysis Diagnosed?

The diagnosis of haemolysis is typically done through a complete blood count (CBC). The CBC is a test that measures the number of red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets in the blood. It also measures the amount of haemoglobin and haematocrit in the blood, which can indicate the presence of haemolysis.

How is Haemolysis Treated?

Treatment for haemolysis depends on the underlying cause. If the haemolysis is caused by a medication, the medication may need to be adjusted or stopped. If the haemolysis is caused by an underlying medical condition, such as anaemia, the underlying condition may need to be treated. Additionally, some medications, such as penicillin, can be used to treat haemolysis.