What is first line therapy for AIHA

IdeaGenius

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm looking for information about first line therapy for AIHA (Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia). Does anyone have experience with this? What treatments did you find were most effective? Any insights or advice on this would be really appreciated.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
AIHA, or Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia, is a disorder in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys its own red blood cells. First line therapy for AIHA involves managing the condition with medications that suppress the immune system. These medications include corticosteroids, such as prednisone, and immunomodulatory medications, such as azathioprine and cyclophosphamide. Additionally, splenectomy and plasmapheresis may be used in some cases.

Medications for AIHA

Corticosteroids are the primary first line therapy for AIHA. These medications work by suppressing the immune system, which helps to reduce the body’s attack on its own red blood cells. Prednisone is the most commonly prescribed corticosteroid for AIHA.

Immunomodulatory medications, such as azathioprine and cyclophosphamide, are also used as first line therapy for AIHA. These medications work by suppressing the body’s immune system and modulating the body’s reaction to the disorder.

Splenectomy and Plasmapheresis

In some cases, splenectomy or plasmapheresis may be used as first line therapy for AIHA. Splenectomy is the surgical removal of the spleen, which is the organ responsible for filtering red blood cells in the body. Plasmapheresis is a process in which the patient’s own plasma is removed and replaced with donor plasma. Both of these procedures help to reduce the body’s attack on its own red blood cells.

Conclusion

First line therapy for AIHA involves the use of medications, such as corticosteroids and immunomodulatory medications, as well as surgical procedures, such as splenectomy and plasmapheresis. These therapies are used to reduce the body’s attack on its own red blood cells and help manage the condition.