What is elevated in pancreatitis

DreamWeaver

"Hi everyone! I'm new here and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I've been doing some research on pancreatitis and I'm having trouble understanding what is elevated in this condition.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Pancreatitis is a condition where the pancreas becomes inflamed. It can be caused by a number of factors, including excessive alcohol consumption, gallstones, certain medications, and other medical conditions. When pancreatitis occurs, the pancreas produces higher than normal levels of enzymes and hormones that can be detected in the blood.

Enzyme Levels

One of the most common markers of pancreatitis is an elevation of the enzymes amylase and lipase. These are digestive enzymes that are normally produced and released by the pancreas. In pancreatitis, the pancreas is unable to control the release of these enzymes, leading to higher levels in the blood.

Hormone Levels

The pancreas also produces the hormones insulin and glucagon. When pancreatitis occurs, the pancreas may be unable to produce enough of these hormones, leading to a decrease in their levels in the blood.

Other Markers

In some cases, other markers can be present in the blood, such as an increase in white blood cells, a decrease in platelets, and an increase in the number of inflammatory markers. These markers may help to indicate the presence of pancreatitis and help to guide treatment.