What is early and late phase of allergy

DigitalExplorer

"Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I recently heard about the early and late phase of an allergic reaction and I'm really curious to learn more. Can anyone tell me what the early and late phases of an allergy are, and how they differ from each other? Any resources, explanations, or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The early and late phases of an allergy are the body's response to an allergen. An allergen is an environmental agent that causes an allergic reaction in some people. Allergies can cause a wide range of symptoms, including sneezing, itching, rashes, wheezing, and asthma attacks.

Early Phase of Allergy

The early phase of an allergy usually begins within minutes to hours of exposure to the allergen. During this period, the body begins to produce a type of antibody called immunoglobulin E (IgE), which binds to the allergen and triggers the body's immune response. This response causes the release of chemicals such as histamine, which can cause symptoms such as itching, sneezing, and watery eyes.

Late Phase of Allergy

The late phase of an allergy occurs several hours after the initial exposure to the allergen. This phase is characterized by an increase in the number of inflammatory cells, such as eosinophils and lymphocytes, in the affected area. These cells release a variety of inflammatory substances that can cause symptoms such as wheezing, coughing, and difficulty breathing.

The early and late phases of an allergy can be treated with anti-allergy medications such as antihistamines and corticosteroids. In some cases, immunotherapy, which involves the administration of small doses of the allergen, may be used to reduce the body's sensitivity to the allergen.