What is difference between direct and indirect Coombs test

measqu

I'm a medical student and I'm having difficulty understanding the difference between direct and indirect Coombs tests. Can anyone provide an explanation of the difference between these two tests and the circumstances in which each should be used? I'd really appreciate any help that can be offered.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Direct Coombs Test

The direct Coombs test (also known as the direct antiglobulin test or DAT) is a laboratory test used to detect antibodies or complement proteins attached to the surface of red blood cells. It is used to detect autoimmune hemolytic anemia, a condition in which a person's own immune system attacks and destroys their red blood cells.

Indirect Coombs Test

The indirect Coombs test (also known as the indirect antiglobulin test or IAT) is a laboratory test used to detect antibodies in the serum of a person's blood. It is used to detect the presence of antibodies that are not attached to the surface of red blood cells.

Difference between Direct and Indirect Coombs Test

The main difference between the direct and indirect Coombs tests is that the direct Coombs test detects antibodies or complement proteins attached to the surface of the red blood cells, while the indirect Coombs test detects antibodies in the serum of a person's blood.

The direct Coombs test is used to detect autoimmune hemolytic anemia, while the indirect Coombs test is used to detect a wide range of autoimmune disorders. The direct Coombs test is more specific, as it can detect antibodies that are only attached to the red blood cells, while the indirect Coombs test is less specific, as it can detect any antibodies in the serum.