What is Coombs negative haemolytic Anaemia

DreamWeaver

"Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping for some help. I recently heard about a medical condition called Coombs negative haemolytic Anaemia but I don't know much about it.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Coombs negative haemolytic anaemia (CHNA) is a type of anaemia caused by a destruction of red blood cells in the body. It is a rare form of anaemia, but can be a serious and potentially fatal condition. CHNA is named after Sir Thomas Coombs, a British physician who first described it in 1952.

Symptoms of Coombs negative haemolytic Anaemia

The symptoms of CHNA vary from person to person. Common symptoms include pale skin, fatigue, jaundice, shortness of breath, rapid heartbeat, dark urine, and abdominal pain. In more severe cases, anemia can cause organ failure or shock.

Causes of Coombs negative haemolytic Anaemia

The exact cause of CHNA is unknown, but it is believed to be the result of an autoimmune disorder. In this condition, a person's immune system mistakenly attacks their own red blood cells. Other potential causes include infections, certain medications, toxins, and genetic disorders.

Diagnosis and Treatment of Coombs negative haemolytic Anaemia

The diagnosis of CHNA involves a physical exam, blood tests, and imaging scans. Treatment of CHNA typically includes medications to suppress the immune system, transfusions, and in some cases, surgery. In addition, lifestyle changes such as avoiding alcohol or limiting sun exposure can help to reduce symptoms.