What is Coombs negative autoimmune hemolytic anemia

IdeaGenius

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for help understanding Coombs negative autoimmune hemolytic anemia. I know it is a type of anemia, but I'm not sure what makes it different from other types of anemia or what causes it. Could someone please explain it to me and provide any useful information that might help me better understand this condition?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Coombs negative autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) is a rare disorder in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys red blood cells, leading to anemia. It occurs when the body produces antibodies that mistakenly recognize its own red blood cells as foreign invaders and attacks them, ultimately destroying them. This form of AIHA is known as Coombs negative AIHA since it does not involve the Coombs test, a laboratory test that identifies antigens on the surface of the red blood cells.

Symptoms of Coombs Negative AIHA

Patients with Coombs negative AIHA may experience a variety of symptoms, including fatigue, shortness of breath, paleness, jaundice, an enlarged spleen, and dark urine.

Diagnosis of Coombs Negative AIHA

A doctor may use a variety of tests and procedures to diagnose Coombs negative AIHA. These may include a complete blood count (CBC) to measure the levels of red blood cells, a reticulocyte count to measure the production of red blood cells, a Coombs test to identify antibodies against red blood cells, and a peripheral smear to examine the shape of red blood cells.

Treatment of Coombs Negative AIHA

Treatment for Coombs negative AIHA typically involves the use of corticosteroids, such as prednisone, to suppress the immune system and reduce the amount of antibodies produced. In some cases, other immunosuppressive medications may be used. Additionally, patients may be prescribed a transfusion of red blood cells to increase the number of red blood cells in the body.