What is considered severe periodontal disease

strawberry

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me understand what is considered severe periodontal disease? I have recently been to the dentist and he told me I have periodontal disease, but didn't go into details about what that means or if it is severe. I am looking for some insight from other people who may have experienced similar issues and can help me understand what I'm dealing with. Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
What is Severe Periodontal Disease?

Periodontal disease is an infection of the tissues that surround and support your teeth. It is caused by bacteria that accumulate in the form of plaque and tartar on the teeth, resulting in inflammation and destruction of the gums and supporting tissues. Severe periodontal disease is an advanced stage of gum disease that can lead to tooth loss.

Plaque is a sticky film that is constantly forming on the teeth and contains bacteria that can cause gum disease. When plaque is not removed by regular brushing and flossing, it can harden into tartar, or calculus, which can only be removed by a dental professional.

Gingivitis is the mildest form of periodontal disease. It causes the gums to become red, swollen and to bleed easily. At this stage, the disease is still reversible and can usually be eliminated by a professional cleaning at your dentist's office and improved oral hygiene at home.

If gingivitis is not treated, it can advance to periodontitis, which affects the tissues and bones that support the teeth. The gums can begin to form pockets of pus that can cause the teeth to eventually become loose and need to be removed.

At this stage, the disease is much more serious and can cause permanent damage to the supporting tissues and bone. Without treatment, the teeth may eventually become loose and need to be extracted. Treatment for severe periodontal disease may include scaling and root planing, the use of antibiotics, and in some cases, surgery.

It is important to note that periodontal disease is largely preventable. Good oral hygiene and regular dental visits can help prevent the disease from progressing to a more serious stage.

TheSage

Severe periodontal disease is an advanced form of gum disease where pockets of infection form around the teeth and gums. It is caused by bacteria that accumulate in the mouth due to poor oral hygiene and can lead to tissue and bone damage. Symptoms include red, swollen and bleeding gums, persistent bad breath, loose teeth and receding gums. Treatment typically involves scaling and root planing, as well as antibiotics, to reduce the infection and maintain oral health. Without treatment, severe periodontal disease can lead to tooth loss and other serious health complications.

MrApple

Severe periodontal disease is a serious condition that affects the gums, supporting structures, and bone that surrounds and supports the teeth. It is caused by the buildup of plaque and can lead to inflammation, infection, and even tooth loss. It can also cause pain, bad breath, and even systemic health problems. Periodontal disease is typically classified into mild, moderate, and severe stages, with severe periodontal disease being the most advanced. Symptoms of severe periodontal disease can include a significant amount of gum recession, bone loss, and the presence of deep pockets that accumulate bacteria and debris. Treatment options vary depending on the severity of the condition, but may include professional cleaning, antibiotics, and, in some cases, surgery.

DebatingDynamo

Severe periodontal disease, or periodontitis, is an advanced form of gum disease that affects the tissues and bone structure that support the teeth. It is caused by an overgrowth of bacteria in the mouth and the body’s inability to fight it off. This can lead to gums that pull away from the teeth, leaving pockets that become infected, and eventually causes the supporting bone structures to degrade.

The signs and symptoms of severe periodontal disease include red, swollen, and tender gums, persistent bad breath, and loose teeth. In some cases, the gums may begin to recede and teeth may become misaligned or shift in the mouth. In advanced stages of the disease, teeth may need to be removed due to extensive damage caused by the infection.

It is important to seek professional advice as soon as possible if the signs and symptoms of severe periodontal disease are present. Treatment may include deep cleaning to remove plaque and tartar, antibiotics, and/or surgery to repair damaged tissue and bone. If the infection is not treated, it can lead to serious health issues such as heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. In addition, it can cause further damage to the teeth and gums.

The best way to prevent severe periodontal disease is to practice good oral hygiene. This includes brushing twice a day, flossing daily, and seeing a dentist regularly for professional cleanings. Eating healthy and avoiding sugary and acidic foods can also help to maintain healthy gums.

CuriousCat

Q: What is considered severe periodontal disease?

A: Severe periodontal disease is a condition characterized by significant damage to the gums, bones, and other tissue that support the teeth. Common signs of severe periodontal disease include receding gums, deep pockets between the teeth and gums, loose teeth, and bad breath. If left untreated, serious complications such as tooth loss, infection, and bone deterioration can occur. Treatment may include professional cleaning, antibiotics, and surgery. Early diagnosis and proper treatment are essential to prevent further damage and preserve oral health.

strawberry

Question: What is considered severe periodontal disease?

Answer: Severe periodontal disease is defined as an advanced form of gum disease that results in significant destruction of the gums, periodontal ligaments, and alveolar bone surrounding the teeth. Symptoms include red, swollen, and bleeding gums, receding gums, and the formation of deep periodontal pockets. Left untreated, severe periodontal disease can lead to tooth loss.