What is Calcific Aortic Stenosis

CuriousCat

"I'm new here and was hoping to get some help understanding what calcific aortic stenosis is. I know it's a type of heart valve disease, but I'm not sure what it means or how it can affect someone. I'd really appreciate any insights forum users can provide on this topic.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Calcific aortic stenosis (CAS) is a condition in which the aortic valve of the heart becomes thickened and hardened due to calcium deposits. This restricts the flow of blood from the left ventricle to the aorta and can lead to serious heart complications if untreated. CAS is typically seen in adults over the age of 65 and is the most common form of aortic valve disease.

Symptoms of Calcific Aortic Stenosis

The symptoms of calcific aortic stenosis can vary depending on the severity of the condition. Early symptoms may include fatigue, shortness of breath, chest pain, and palpitations. As the condition progresses, symptoms may include dizziness or fainting, swelling of the legs, and an irregular heartbeat.

Causes of Calcific Aortic Stenosis

The exact cause of calcific aortic stenosis is not known, but it is thought to be related to aging and long-term wear and tear of the aortic valve. Other factors that may contribute to the condition include smoking, high blood pressure, and family history of aortic valve disease.

Diagnosis of Calcific Aortic Stenosis

Calcific aortic stenosis is typically diagnosed using imaging tests such as an echocardiogram, CT scan, or MRI. These tests allow doctors to measure the thickness and calcification of the aortic valve. In some cases, doctors may also use an X-ray or angiogram to diagnose the condition.

Treatment of Calcific Aortic Stenosis

The treatment of calcific aortic stenosis depends on the severity of the condition. In mild cases, lifestyle changes such as quitting smoking, maintaining a healthy weight, and controlling high blood pressure can help manage the symptoms. In more severe cases, medications or surgery may be necessary to treat the condition.