What is BPD more common than

strawberry

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I'm hoping to get some help with a question I have about Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). I recently learned that BPD is more common than many people think, but I'm curious to know what it is more common than. Can anyone share any insight on this topic? Are there any statistics about how much more common BPD is than other mental illnesses? Any information or experiences shared would be greatly appreciated.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) is a mental health disorder that is characterized by instability in moods, behaviors, self-image, and functioning. BPD is more common than many people think, affecting an estimated 1.6% of the U.S. adult population, making it more prevalent than schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.

Risk Factors and Causes of BPD

BPD is believed to be caused by a combination of environmental and genetic influences. Risk factors for developing BPD include a history of childhood trauma, family instability, and difficulties in managing emotions.

Signs and Symptoms of BPD

People with BPD may experience extreme mood swings, bouts of anger and depression, difficulty in relationships, feelings of emptiness, self-harm, and suicidal thoughts. Other signs and symptoms include impulsivity, difficulty regulating emotions, and fear of abandonment.

Treatment for BPD

The best treatment for BPD is a combination of psychotherapy and medication. Psychotherapy, such as Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), can help people with BPD learn how to manage their emotions, change their behavior, and improve their relationships. Medication, such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), can help reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety.