What is Benign Cementoblastoma

strawberry

"Hello, I am looking for help understanding what a benign cementoblastoma is. I have done some research, but I am still a little uncertain. Can anyone here explain to me what it is and what causes it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Benign cementoblastoma is a rare odontogenic tumor. It is a benign tumor of the cementum, which is the hard tissue that forms the outermost layer of the tooth root. It also affects the periodontal ligament and alveolar bone. This tumor is considered rare and can occur in both children and adults.

Signs and Symptoms

The most common symptom of benign cementoblastoma is a painless swelling in the gums surrounding the affected tooth. Other symptoms may include:

• Redness of the gums

• Swelling of the gums

• Tenderness of the affected area

• Loosening of the affected tooth

• Swelling of the jaw

• Difficulty chewing

Diagnosis

Diagnosis of benign cementoblastoma usually begins with a physical examination. Your dentist may also take an X-ray or CT scan to check for any signs of the tumor. If the tumor is found, your dentist may refer you to an oral and maxillofacial surgeon for further tests and treatment.

Treatment

The primary treatment for benign cementoblastoma is surgery. The surgeon will remove the tumor and any affected tissue. Depending on the size and location of the tumor, your dentist may also recommend additional treatments such as radiation or chemotherapy.

Outlook

The prognosis for benign cementoblastoma is excellent with early diagnosis and treatment. Most patients experience a complete recovery with no recurrence.