What is benign autoimmune hemolytic anemia

DreamWeaver

I'm looking for information about benign autoimmune hemolytic anemia. Does anyone have any experience with this condition or know someone who does? I'm trying to understand what it is, what the symptoms are, and what the treatments might be. I'd appreciate any information or advice from anyone who has experience with this condition.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Benign autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) is a form of anemia that is caused by the body's immune system attacking its own red blood cells. The red blood cells are destroyed by the immune system before they can reach their normal lifespan in the bloodstream. This type of anemia is usually seen in adults, though it can also occur in children.

Symptoms of Benign Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia

The most common symptoms of benign AIHA include fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath, pale skin, headaches, and jaundice. This form of anemia can also cause an enlarged spleen and liver, as well as an increased risk of infection.

Diagnosis and Treatment of Benign AIHA

Diagnosis of benign AIHA is usually done through blood tests and physical exams. Treatment of the condition usually involves the use of corticosteroids or other immunosuppressant drugs to reduce the body's production of antibodies that are attacking the red blood cells. In some cases, a blood transfusion may be needed to increase the number of healthy red blood cells in the body.