What is autoimmune mediated hemolytic anemia

ByteBuddy

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. Does anyone have any experience with autoimmune mediated hemolytic anemia? I'm trying to understand what it is and what the symptoms are. I'm also interested in finding out how it is treated and what the long-term prognosis is. Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Autoimmune mediated hemolytic anemia (AIHA) is a condition in which the body's immune system attacks and destroys its own red blood cells (RBCs). The condition is caused by the production of antibodies against the body's own red blood cells, which leads to the destruction of red blood cells.

Symptoms of AIHA

The primary symptom of AIHA is anemia, which is a decrease in the number of RBCs and a decrease in their ability to carry oxygen. Symptoms of anemia can include fatigue, pale skin, shortness of breath, dizziness, headaches, dark urine, and chest pain.

Causes of AIHA

The exact cause of AIHA is unknown, but it is believed to be the result of an underlying autoimmune disorder or a reaction to a medication or infection.

Diagnosis of AIHA

AIHA is diagnosed through a combination of physical examination, blood tests, and imaging studies. Blood tests may show anemia and low levels of red blood cells. Imaging studies, such as a chest X-ray or CT scan, may be used to look for any underlying causes of AIHA.

Treatment of AIHA

Treatment of AIHA depends on the underlying cause. Treatment may include medications to suppress the immune system, such as steroids or immunosuppressants. In more severe cases, a blood transfusion may be necessary.