What is autoimmune hemolytic anemia with warm antibodies

strawberry

I'm new here and I'm trying to better understand autoimmune hemolytic anemia with warm antibodies. Could anyone help explain this condition to me? Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the symptoms, treatments, or causes of this type of anemia? I'd really appreciate any advice or information you could provide about this condition. Thank you in advance for your help.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Autoimmune hemolytic anemia with warm antibodies, also known as AIHA, is a condition in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys its own red blood cells. This type of anemia is caused by an overactive immune system, which produces antibodies that attack the red blood cells of the body. Warm antibodies are antibodies that bind to red blood cells at body temperature.

Symptoms of AIHA with Warm Antibodies

The symptoms of AIHA with warm antibodies are similar to those of other types of anemia, including:

• Fatigue

• Shortness of breath

• Lightheadedness

• Pale skin

• Increased heart rate

• Jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes)

• Dark urine

• Enlarged spleen

• Fever

• Decreased appetite

• Abdominal pain

Diagnosis of AIHA with Warm Antibodies

AIHA with warm antibodies is diagnosed using a combination of laboratory tests and physical examination. The most common laboratory tests used to diagnose AIHA include:

• Complete blood count (CBC)

• Blood smear

• Direct antiglobulin test (DAT)

• Indirect antiglobulin test (IAT)

• Coombs' test

• Reticulocyte count

• Iron studies

• Antinuclear antibody (ANA) test

• Anti-DNA antibody test

• Kidney function tests

• Liver function tests

Treatment of AIHA with Warm Antibodies

Treatment for AIHA with warm antibodies typically includes medications, such as corticosteroids or immunosuppressants, to suppress the immune system and stop it from attacking the body's own red blood cells. Other treatments may include blood transfusions, splenectomy (surgical removal of the spleen), and other therapies to manage symptoms.