What is autoimmune hemolytic anemia results from a

measqu

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm trying to understand what autoimmune hemolytic anemia results from. I've done some research but I still don't understand it very well. Does anyone have any information or experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) is a condition in which a person's immune system attacks and destroys their own red blood cells (RBCs). The red blood cells are responsible for carrying oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body. When the red blood cells are destroyed, the body cannot get enough oxygen. This can lead to fatigue, pale skin, shortness of breath, and other symptoms.

Causes of AIHA

AIHA is caused by an abnormal immune response. In most cases, the body’s immune system mistakenly identifies the person’s own red blood cells as foreign, and attacks them. This can be caused by:

Autoimmune diseases: Autoimmune diseases are conditions in which the body’s immune system attacks its own cells and tissues. AIHA can be a symptom of some autoimmune diseases, such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

Infection: Certain infections, such as mononucleosis, cytomegalovirus, and HIV, can trigger an immune response that leads to AIHA.

Drugs: Some drugs, such as penicillin and sulfa drugs, can cause AIHA.

Genetics: AIHA can be inherited from a person’s parents.

Treatment of AIHA

AIHA can be treated with medications, such as corticosteroids, that suppress the immune system. Other treatments, such as intravenous immunoglobulin or splenectomy, may also be necessary in some cases. It is important to speak with a doctor to determine the best treatment plan.