What is autoimmune hemolytic anemia in CML

IdeaGenius

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone could help me with some information about autoimmune hemolytic anemia in CML? I'm completely new to this topic and I'm having a hard time understanding what it is and what it means for someone with CML. Can anyone offer some insight and help me understand more about this condition?

Thank you for your help.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) is a rare complication of chronic myeloid leukemia (CML). In CML, the body produces an abnormal amount of white blood cells, which can lead to a decrease in the amount of red blood cells. AIHA is a type of anemia caused by the body's own immune system attacking and destroying red blood cells. This can lead to fatigue, shortness of breath, and an increased risk of infections.

Symptoms of Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia in CML

The most common symptom of AIHA in CML is fatigue. This is due to the body not having enough red blood cells to carry oxygen to the tissues. Other symptoms include shortness of breath, rapid heart rate, pale skin, and yellowing of the skin and eyes (jaundice). People with AIHA may also have a fever, chills, and a decreased appetite.

Diagnosis and Treatment of Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia in CML

AIHA in CML is diagnosed with a blood test. This test will show the amount of red blood cells and other components of the blood. AIHA is usually treated with immunosuppressive medications that help to reduce the body's immune response. In some cases, a blood transfusion may be necessary to replace the lost red blood cells.

Prevention of Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia in CML

The best way to prevent AIHA in CML is to manage the underlying CML. This includes staying on top of your treatment plan and following up with your doctor regularly. It is also important to get regular blood tests to check for any changes in your blood count.