What is autoimmune hemolytic anemia due to IgG

DigitalExplorer

I'm looking for help with understanding autoimmune hemolytic anemia due to IgG. I'm not sure what it is, or what the implications are, and I'm hoping to get some advice from others who may have knowledge about this condition. Can someone please explain what autoimmune hemolytic anemia due to IgG is, and what the signs and symptoms are? Any other helpful information would be much appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) is a condition in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys red blood cells. It is caused by the production of antibodies that target the body's own red blood cells. These antibodies are usually of the IgG type, which means they are made by a type of white blood cell called a B-cell.

Causes of AIHA due to IgG

Most cases of AIHA due to IgG are caused by an autoimmune disorder, such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. In some cases, the cause is unknown. AIHA due to IgG can also be caused by medications, such as penicillin or cephalosporins, or by certain infections, such as human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) or hepatitis C.

Symptoms of AIHA due to IgG

The symptoms of AIHA due to IgG can vary depending on the severity of the condition. Common symptoms include fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath, pale skin, dark urine, jaundice, and abdominal pain.

Diagnosis of AIHA due to IgG

AIHA due to IgG is typically diagnosed through a physical exam, blood tests, and a bone marrow biopsy. Blood tests can be used to measure antibody levels and check for red blood cell destruction. A bone marrow biopsy can confirm the diagnosis and rule out other causes of anemia.

Treatment of AIHA due to IgG

Treatment of AIHA due to IgG typically involves medications to suppress the immune system and reduce red blood cell destruction. Corticosteroids are commonly used to suppress the immune system. Other medications, such as rituximab and azathioprine, can also be used to reduce red blood cell destruction. In some cases, a blood transfusion may be necessary.