What is AST vs ALT enzymes

DreamWeaver

Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me out with this one.

I've recently started to look into blood tests and have come across something called AST and ALT enzymes. Can someone explain to me what these are and the difference between them? I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
AST and ALT are two enzymes that are important indicators of liver health. AST (aspartate aminotransferase) and ALT (alanine aminotransferase) are both enzymes found in the liver and other organs in the body. AST and ALT are released into the bloodstream when cells are damaged, and their levels can be measured with a simple blood test.

What are AST and ALT Enzymes?

AST and ALT are two enzymes found in the liver and other organs. They are responsible for breaking down amino acids and other molecules in the body. AST and ALT can be released into the bloodstream when cells are damaged, and their levels can be measured with a blood test.

What are Normal Levels of AST and ALT?

Normal levels of AST and ALT vary depending on the laboratory. Generally, normal levels of AST range from 10 to 40 units per liter (U/L), and normal levels of ALT range from 7 to 56 U/L. However, it is important to note that some medical conditions can cause abnormal AST and ALT levels.

What Do Abnormal Levels of AST and ALT Mean?

Abnormal levels of AST and ALT can indicate a variety of medical conditions, including liver damage or disease, heart attack, pancreatitis, or anemia. It is important to consult with your doctor if you have abnormal AST and ALT levels, to determine the underlying cause.