What is Argyll Robertson's pupil

measqu

Hello everyone! I’m hoping to find some help with a medical topic. Does anyone know about Argyll Robertson's pupil? I’ve heard about it but I’m not sure what it is. I’m hoping to learn more about it and what it means for someone with this condition. I’ve looked online but can’t seem to find any information.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Argyll Robertson's pupil is a medical condition that is characterized by an abnormally small pupil size in both eyes. It is named after the Scottish ophthalmologist Douglas Argyll Robertson. It is sometimes referred to as the Argyll-Robertson syndrome. The condition is usually associated with neurosyphilis, a form of syphilis that affects the nervous system. In some cases, it can also be caused by other diseases, such as diabetes, multiple sclerosis, or brain tumors.

The condition is diagnosed by an ophthalmologist who performs a physical examination of the eyes. The Argyll Robertson's pupil is characterized by a constriction of the pupil that does not respond to light. This is called an Argyll Robertson's sign. Other signs that may be present include decreased vision, blurred vision, and an inability to focus.

Treatment for Argyll Robertson's pupil depends on the underlying cause. For neurosyphilis, a course of antibiotics is usually prescribed. If the condition is caused by diabetes, multiple sclerosis, or a brain tumor, the condition may need to be managed with medication or surgery.

In some cases, the Argyll Robertson's pupil may resolve on its own without any treatment. However, if the underlying cause is not treated, the condition may become permanent, leading to a decrease in vision and other vision-related problems.

TheSage

Argyll Robertson pupil is a type of pupil which is seen in patients with certain neurological disorders. It is characterized by a small, round pupil constricted by light which then dilates when the patient looks in the direction of an internal light source. This pupil is also known as the “light-near dissociation”, as the constriction response to light is reduced while the response to near stimuli remains intact. It is named after Scottish ophthalmologist Douglas Argyll Robertson who first described it in the late 1800s.

MrApple

Argyll Robertson pupil (ARR) is a clinical sign seen in some individuals who have neurosyphilis, a form of late stage syphilis. It is characterized by a bilateral, non-reactive, and constricted pupil that is unresponsive to light. The pupils may also appear to be “light-near dissociated”, meaning that the pupils constrict when the person looks at a near object, but do not constrict when exposed to light. This condition is named after Douglas Argyll Robertson, a Scottish ophthalmologist who first described the condition in 1869. Treatment of ARR typically involves the use of penicillin, the only known treatment for syphilis.

DreamWeaver

What were the primary symptoms of Argyll Robertson's pupil?

Argyll Robertson's pupil is a type of pupil abnormality associated with neurological conditions. The primary symptoms of Argyll Robertson's pupil are anisocoria (unequal pupil size) and a loss of light reflex (the constriction of the pupil in response to light). Additionally, the affected pupil may exhibit pupillary light-near dissociation, meaning that the pupil constricts in response to accommodation (looking at near objects) but not in response to light.