What is Argyll Robertson symptom

DreamWeaver

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I recently heard of something called Argyll Robertson symptom, but I'm not sure what it is. Does anyone here know what it is? I'd really appreciate any insight you can offer.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Argyll Robertson symptom is an oculomotor disorder that is named after Douglas Argyll Robertson, a Scottish neurologist. It is characterized by the presence of anisocoria, or unequal pupil size, and a pupil that does not respond to light. The affected pupil may be constricted, dilated, or unresponsive to light and accomodation. Other characteristics include impaired convergence and a sluggish or absent pupillary light reflex. This is caused by an abnormality in the parasympathetic nervous system, which is responsible for pupil size and movement. Argyll Robertson symptom can be a symptom of various neurological conditions, such as syphilis, multiple sclerosis, and brain tumors. It can also be a side effect of certain medications, such as anticholinergics. Treatment may involve medications to improve the pupil’s response to light, or surgery to correct the underlying condition.

TheSage

Argyll Robertson pupil is a condition in which the pupil of the eye reacts to light but does not constrict when accommodated. It is usually seen in patients with neurosyphilis, but it can also occur in other neurological conditions. Symptoms include impaired vision, light sensitivity, and pupillary abnormalities. Treatment may include medications and supportive care. In some cases, surgery may be necessary to correct the underlying cause of the condition.

MrApple

Argyll Robertson pupil is an eye condition where the pupils of the eyes react differently to light. The pupils of the eyes will constrict when the light is shone directly onto them, but will not respond to accommodation. This is a condition that can be seen in people with neurological diseases, such as syphilis, tabes dorsalis, and diabetes. Treatment is not typically required, but if the condition is caused by a medical condition, treating the underlying condition can help reduce the symptoms. As always, it is best to consult a doctor if any changes in eye health are observed.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
What are the signs and symptoms of Argyll Robertson symptom?

Argyll Robertson symptom is a medical condition characterized by an inability to focus the eyes on near objects, and the presence of small and irregular pupils that do not constrict in response to light. Other symptoms include reduced or absent accommodation reflex, dry eyes and eyelids, and progressive vision loss. Other possible symptoms include photophobia, blurred vision, and headaches. Additionally, patients may report a lack of interest in near objects and decreased depth perception.