What is an odontogenic cyst

CuriousCat

I'm looking for some help understanding what an odontogenic cyst is. I've heard people talking about it but I'm not sure what it is or how it relates to the mouth.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Odontogenic cysts are abnormal, fluid-filled sacs that can form around the teeth and jawbones. They are typically caused by impacted teeth, where a tooth has not fully erupted from the gum, or when the tooth has become infected. Odontogenic cysts are also known as dentigerous cysts, and they can occur in both children and adults.

Signs and Symptoms
A common symptom of an odontogenic cyst is swelling in the area around the affected tooth. The area may feel tender to the touch, and the person may experience pain when chewing, as well as facial asymmetry. In some cases, the cyst may cause the affected tooth to become mobile or loose.

Diagnosis and Treatment
Odontogenic cysts are usually detected during a routine dental examination. An x-ray of the affected area may be taken to confirm the diagnosis. Treatment usually involves draining the cyst and removing the affected tooth. In some cases, the cyst may need to be surgically removed.

Complications
If an odontogenic cyst is left untreated, it can lead to serious complications, such as facial deformity, damage to the surrounding teeth, and damage to the jawbone. If the cyst becomes infected, it can also cause abscesses or spread bacteria to other parts of the body.

Prevention
To help prevent odontogenic cysts, it is important to practice good oral hygiene and see a dentist regularly for check-ups. Early detection and treatment of any dental problems can help to reduce the risk of forming an odontogenic cyst.