What is an example of immune hemolytic anemia

IdeaGenius

I am hoping to get some help understanding immune hemolytic anemia. Can anyone provide an example of a case of this condition? I know that it is a type of anemia caused by the immune system attacking red blood cells, but I'm confused about the specifics.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Immune hemolytic anemia (IHA) is a type of anemia caused by the body's immune system attacking and destroying its own red blood cells. It can be caused by a variety of factors, including medications, infections, and autoimmune diseases. Examples of IHA include:

Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia

Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) is a form of IHA where the body mistakenly produces antibodies that attack and destroy its own red blood cells. AIHA can be caused by a variety of factors, including autoimmune diseases, such as systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), rheumatoid arthritis (RA), and Sjögren's syndrome. Other causes of AIHA include certain medications, viral infections, and exposure to toxins.

Drug-Induced Immune Hemolytic Anemia

Drug-induced immune hemolytic anemia (DIIHA) is a form of IHA caused by certain medications. Penicillin, cephalosporins, sulfonamides, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are among the most common drugs that can cause DIIHA.

Infectious Immune Hemolytic Anemia

Infectious immune hemolytic anemia (IIHA) is a form of IHA caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Common infections that can cause IIHA include Epstein-Barr virus, cytomegalovirus, and Mycoplasma pneumoniae.