What is an elevated WBC after COVID

strawberry

I am a little concerned about my recent lab results. I tested positive for COVID-19 and my white blood cell count was elevated. Does anyone know what could be causing this and what I can do to lower it? Are there any long-term effects of an elevated WBC after a COVID infection? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
An elevated white blood cell (WBC) count after COVID-19 is a common finding. WBCs are a type of white blood cell involved in the body's immune system. A higher than normal WBC count can indicate an infection and is often seen after a person has contracted the virus. It is important to note that an elevated WBC count is not always a sign of an infection. It can also be caused by other conditions or medications.

What Causes an Elevated WBC After COVID?

A high WBC count after COVID-19 can be caused by a variety of factors. The most common cause is the presence of the virus in the body. The body's immune system will respond to the virus by producing more white blood cells to fight it off. Another cause could be the presence of an underlying infection, such as a bacterial or fungal infection, that was triggered by the virus. Additionally, certain medications can raise the WBC count, such as corticosteroids or chemotherapy.

What Are the Symptoms of an Elevated WBC After COVID?

The symptoms of an elevated WBC count after COVID-19 vary depending on the underlying cause. Common symptoms include fever, chills, body aches, and fatigue. In addition, the person may experience a cough, shortness of breath, and difficulty breathing. Other symptoms may include swollen lymph nodes, loss of appetite, and weight loss.

How Is an Elevated WBC Count Diagnosed?

An elevated WBC count after COVID-19 is typically diagnosed with a blood test. The results of the test will show the number of white blood cells in the body. A high WBC count can indicate an infection or other condition. If a high WBC count is found, the doctor may order additional tests to determine the underlying cause. Treatment will depend on the underlying cause.

What Is the Treatment for an Elevated WBC After COVID?

Treatment for an elevated WBC count after COVID-19 depends on the underlying cause. If the elevated WBC count is due to the virus, the doctor may recommend rest and fluids to help the body fight off the virus. If the elevated WBC count is due to an underlying infection, the doctor may prescribe antibiotics. Additionally, if the elevated WBC count is due to a medication, the doctor may recommend an alternative medication.