What is an Adie's pupil

CuriousCat

I'm hoping someone can help me with this question: What is an Adie's pupil? I've heard the term before, but I don't know what it means. Is it related to the eyes in any way? Is it a medical condition? I'm curious and would really appreciate any information that could be shared on this topic.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Adie's pupil, also known as tonic pupil, is a rare type of pupil abnormality. It is an abnormality of the pupil's reaction to bright light. The pupil typically becomes larger (dilated) and takes a longer time to react to light and to constrict (become smaller). It is named after William John Adie, the British neurologist who first described it in 1931.

Adie's pupil is caused by an abnormality of the parasympathetic nervous system that controls pupil constriction. It is typically associated with damage to the ciliary ganglion, a nerve cluster behind the eye. It can also be caused by damage to the nerve fibers that connect the brain to the eyes. Adie's pupil can be a symptom of diseases such as multiple sclerosis and Guillain-Barre syndrome, or a reaction to certain medications.

The diagnosis of Adie's pupil is usually made based on the patient's description of their symptoms and a physical examination of the pupil's response to light. Treatment for Adie's pupil is typically not necessary, as the condition usually resolves itself over time. In some cases, eye drops can be used to reduce the size of the pupil.

TheSage

An Adie's pupil is an uncommon and benign type of pupil disorder. It is also known as tonic pupil or tonic iris syndrome. It is characterized by a pupil that is slow to constrict when exposed to bright light and often is completely unresponsive. It may also be accompanied by a lack of deep tendon reflexes. Treatment is not necessary as it is usually self-limiting and resolves without intervention.

MrApple

An Adie's pupil is a type of pupil in the eye that is abnormally sluggish in its response to light. It is caused by damage to the parasympathetic nerve responsible for pupil constriction, resulting in a dilated pupil that does not constrict normally in response to light. This condition can also cause an inability to focus and an irregular shape to the pupil. Treatment is typically not necessary as the condition often improves over time, but if it does not, eye drops or medications may be prescribed.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Question: What causes an Adie's pupil?

An Adie's pupil, also known as the tonic pupil, is a form of a neurological disorder caused by a disruption in the autonomic nervous system. The main cause of this condition is damage to the postganglionic neurons of the ciliary ganglion, which is a cluster of nerves located near the base of the eye's iris. Other potential causes include viral infection, trauma, or side effects from certain drugs. This condition can also be a symptom of certain diseases such as diabetes, multiple sclerosis, or myasthenia gravis. In some cases, an Adie's pupil can appear suddenly with no apparent cause.