What is an Adenomatoid Odontogenic Tumor

measqu

"Hello everyone! I'm new here and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I've been doing some research and I recently came across something called an Adenomatoid Odontogenic Tumor.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Adenomatoid odontogenic tumor (AOT) is an uncommon, benign odontogenic tumor that typically occurs in the anterior maxilla and mandible. It is believed to be of odontogenic epithelial origin and has a predilection for the crown portion of the maxillary central incisors. AOT is usually asymptomatic and presents as a slow-growing, well-circumscribed, radiolucent lesion that can be easily misdiagnosed as a dentigerous cyst. Histopathologically, AOT is composed of an admixture of squamous and cuboidal cells, and it is usually surrounded by a fibrous capsule.

Clinically, AOT can be diagnosed based on its characteristic radiographic appearance, which includes a well-defined, round-to-oval radiolucency that is associated with a unilocular or multilocular pattern. The lesion may also be associated with enamel and dentin formation, a radiopaque rim, and/or root resorption.

Treatment for AOT typically involves enucleation and curettage of the lesion, with or without adjunctive chemotherapy. The prognosis is generally good, and recurrence is rare. Regular follow-up is recommended to monitor for any changes in the lesion.