What is ALT vs AST vs ALP

measqu

I'm having trouble understanding the differences between ALT, AST, and ALP and I'd really appreciate some help. Can anyone explain the differences between these three tests and why they are important? I've heard that they are all related to liver function but I don't know how they differ.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
ALT vs AST vs ALP are three primary tests used to measure liver function. ALT, also known as Alanine Transaminase, is an enzyme that is found mainly in the liver. AST, or Aspartate Transaminase, is also an enzyme that is released into the bloodstream when the liver is damaged. ALP, or Alkaline Phosphatase, is an enzyme found mainly in the liver, bone, and intestine.

ALT (Alanine Transaminase)
ALT is an enzyme found mainly in the liver and is released into the bloodstream when the liver is damaged. High levels of ALT can indicate liver damage due to a variety of conditions, including viral hepatitis, alcoholism, liver tumor, or other conditions.

AST (Aspartate Transaminase)
AST is an enzyme that is released into the bloodstream when the liver is damaged. High levels of AST can indicate liver damage due to a variety of conditions, including viral hepatitis, alcoholism, liver tumor, or other conditions.

ALP (Alkaline Phosphatase)
ALP is an enzyme found mainly in the liver, bone, and intestine. High levels of ALP can indicate liver damage due to a variety of conditions, including viral hepatitis, alcoholism, liver tumor, or other conditions.