What is ALT level in acute pancreatitis

IdeaGenius

Hello everyone! I'm hoping someone can help me out with some information. I'm looking for information about the ALT level in acute pancreatitis and I'm not sure where to start. Does anyone have any experience with this or know where I can find more information? I'd really appreciate any advice.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
ALT (alanine aminotransferase) is an enzyme found in the blood of people with acute pancreatitis. Elevated levels of ALT are associated with a higher risk of complications and an increased mortality rate. The normal range of ALT for adults is typically between 10 and 40 units per liter (U/L). In acute pancreatitis, however, levels of ALT may be significantly higher. A study published in 2019 found that ALT levels greater than 300 U/L were associated with a mortality rate of up to 53%. It is important to note that ALT levels can fluctuate during the course of the illness and are just one indicator of disease severity. Other factors, such as C-reactive protein (CRP) levels and white blood cell counts, should also be taken into account when assessing the severity of acute pancreatitis.