What is AIHA caused by

IdeaGenius

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help understanding what AIHA is caused by. AIHA stands for autoimmune hemolytic anemia, and I've heard that it's an autoimmune disorder, but I'm not sure what causes it. Does anyone have experience with AIHA or know what causes it? Any advice or information would be much appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
AIHA stands for Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia. It is an immune system disorder in which a person's own immune system attacks and destroys their red blood cells. It is caused by an abnormal response of the body's immune system to red blood cells. When the body's immune system recognizes the red blood cells as foreign, it produces antibodies that attack and destroy them. This leads to a decrease in the number of red blood cells and a decrease in the amount of oxygen that the body can carry, resulting in anemia. AIHA can be caused by a variety of different conditions, including infections, medications, and autoimmune diseases. It can also be caused by genetic factors. Treatment for AIHA depends on the underlying cause and may include medications, transfusions, and immunosuppression.