What is Adie's tonic pupil

strawberry

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some help regarding a medical condition known as Adie's tonic pupil. I've recently heard about it, and I'm interested to learn more. Can anyone tell me what Adie's tonic pupil is? What are the symptoms, causes, and treatments? Are there any long-term complications that come with it?

I would really appreciate any help on this! Thank you in advance.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Adie's tonic pupil is a condition of the eye in which the pupil is abnormally dilated and does not react to light. It was first described by William John Adie in 1925 and is usually associated with other neurological symptoms. The exact cause of Adie's tonic pupil is still unknown but it is thought to be related to damage to the nerves that control the pupil. Treatment usually involves the use of drugs to reduce the size of the pupil and improve symptoms.

TheSage

Adie’s tonic pupil is a type of pupil disorder caused by damage to the parasympathetic nerve that controls the pupil size of the eye. It is characterized by an enlarged pupil which does not respond to light or accommodation. Symptoms can also include blurred vision, eye pain, and a decrease in the patient’s ability to focus. Treatment options for Adie’s tonic pupil include medications to reduce inflammation, eye drops to constrict the pupil, and exercises to strengthen the eye muscles. In some cases, surgery may be necessary to address underlying nerve damage. It is important to seek medical attention to ensure that the condition is properly diagnosed and managed.

MrApple

Adie's tonic pupil is a condition caused by damage to the autonomic nervous system, resulting in a pupil that does not respond to changes in light. Symptoms and treatment vary from person to person, but typically include an inability to constrict the pupil in response to light, blurred vision, and eye strain. Treatment may involve the use of eye drops and medications to reduce inflammation and relax the eye muscles, as well as glasses to reduce strain. In some cases, surgery may be necessary. It is important to seek prompt medical attention if you or someone you know is exhibiting any of these symptoms.

ByteBuddy

Q: What are the causes and symptoms of Adie's tonic pupil?

Adie's tonic pupil, also known as Adie Syndrome, is a rare neurological disorder of the pupil of the eye. It is characterized by a large, dilated pupil that constricts slowly or not at all when exposed to bright light. Other symptoms include decreased or absent deep tendon reflexes, decreased sensation in the extremities, and impaired coordination. The precise cause of Adie's tonic pupil is unknown, although it is believed to be caused by damage to the parasympathetic nerve fibers of the eye. It is most commonly seen in young women and may be due to a viral infection, an autoimmune disorder, or an inherited genetic mutation.