What is a root lesion of the tooth

strawberry

I'm really hoping someone on this forum can help me out with a question I have about root lesions of the tooth. I'm confused about what they are and how they affect the mouth. Is it something that is caused by oral hygiene or something else? I'm really curious to learn more about this, and I'm hoping someone can explain this to me in detail.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
A root lesion of the tooth is a dental condition that occurs when the root of a tooth becomes inflamed or infected. This can happen due to decay, trauma, or periodontal disease. Root lesions can cause pain, swelling, and sensitivity. Treatment often involves root canal therapy or extraction.

Symptoms of a Root Lesion of the Tooth

Root lesions can cause a variety of symptoms, including:

• Pain when eating or drinking hot or cold items

• Tenderness or swelling of the gums

• Loose teeth

• Sensitivity to touch or pressure

• Bad breath or bad taste in the mouth

Causes of a Root Lesion of the Tooth

Root lesions can be caused by a variety of factors, including:

• Tooth decay

• Damage to the tooth, such as a fracture or chip

• Periodontal disease

• Trauma to the tooth

• Bacterial infection

Treatment of a Root Lesion of the Tooth

Treatment for a root lesion of the tooth will depend on the cause and severity of the condition. Common treatments include:

• Root canal therapy: This is a procedure that removes the infected or inflamed tissue from the tooth and fills the area with a special material to protect it from further damage.

• Extraction: If the damage is too severe, the tooth may need to be extracted.

• Antibiotics: In some cases, antibiotics may be prescribed to help clear up the infection.

• Medication: Pain medication may be prescribed to help relieve any discomfort associated with the root lesion.