What is a retention cyst

IdeaGenius

I am wondering what a retention cyst is and I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this. I have done some research myself but I still don't understand what a retention cyst is, and how it is different from other cysts. I am hoping that someone out there has more experience with this than I do and can help me understand it better.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Retention cysts are fluid-filled sacs that form in the gums. They are typically caused by an obstruction of the excretory duct, which is the tube that carries saliva from the salivary glands to the mouth. Retention cysts are usually painless, but they can cause discomfort and swelling. They can also lead to infection. Treatment of retention cysts usually involves draining the fluid and removing the obstruction. In some cases, surgery may be required.

Causes of Retention Cysts

Retention cysts are usually caused by an obstruction of the excretory duct. This obstruction can be caused by a number of factors, including trauma, infection, or a tumor. In some cases, the obstruction may be caused by a blockage in the salivary ducts, which can be due to a stone, a cyst, or a foreign body.

Symptoms of Retention Cysts

The most common symptom of a retention cyst is swelling of the affected area. This swelling can cause discomfort and pain. Other symptoms may include:

• Redness
• Tenderness
• Bad breath
• Difficulty opening the mouth
• Difficulty swallowing

Diagnosis of Retention Cysts

Retention cysts are typically diagnosed through a physical examination. Your doctor may also order imaging tests, such as an X-ray or CT scan, to confirm the diagnosis.

Treatment of Retention Cysts

Treatment of retention cysts typically involves draining the fluid and removing the obstruction. In some cases, surgery may be required. Your doctor may also prescribe antibiotics to treat any infection that may be present.

Prevention of Retention Cysts

The best way to prevent retention cysts is to practice good oral hygiene. This includes brushing and flossing your teeth at least twice a day and visiting your dentist regularly for check-ups and cleanings.