What is a positive allergy test

IdeaGenius

"Hi everyone! I'm in need of some help understanding what a positive allergy test is. I know a bit about allergies, but I'm new to allergy tests and what a positive result means.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
A positive allergy test is a laboratory test that is used to detect the presence of an allergic reaction in a person’s body. Allergy testing can be conducted through skin tests, blood tests, or a combination of both. A positive test result indicates that a person is allergic to a particular substance or allergen.

Skin Test

The skin test is the most commonly used allergy testing. During the test, a small amount of a suspected allergen is placed on the skin and the area is then pricked with a needle. If the person is allergic to the allergen, a raised, red, itchy bump will appear at the test site within 15 minutes.

Blood Test

A blood test, also known as a radioallergosorbent test (RAST), is used to measure the amount of specific antibodies, known as immunoglobulin E (IgE), that are in the blood. This test can be used to detect an allergic reaction to a wide variety of allergens, such as pollen, mold, animal dander, and food. A positive test result indicates that the person is allergic to the allergen.

Combination Test

Some allergists may choose to conduct a combination test, which involves both skin and blood testing. This type of testing is used to confirm the results of a skin test, as well as to identify potential allergens that may not have been detected by the skin test.