What is a popular disorder

CuriousCat

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm trying to learn more about mental health and I'm curious to know what the most popular disorder is. I recently heard about anxiety and depression and I would love to know more about them, and any other disorder that is commonly discussed. Are there any disorders that are more popular than others, or that are more widely known?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Popular disorders are conditions and illnesses that have become very common in society. Examples include depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), substance abuse, eating disorders, and autism. These mental health disorders are among the most commonly diagnosed in the United States and around the world.

Depression

Depression is a common mental health disorder that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest in activities. Symptoms of depression can include: feelings of hopelessness, difficulty concentrating, changes in appetite, fatigue, difficulty sleeping, suicidal thoughts, and/or irritability.

Anxiety

Anxiety is a feeling of fear or worry that is often accompanied by physical symptoms such as sweating, trembling, and increased heart rate. Anxiety can be the result of an underlying medical condition, or it can be caused by stress. Common anxiety disorders include generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, panic disorder, and phobias.

Bipolar Disorder

Bipolar disorder is a mental health disorder characterized by extreme changes in mood. People with bipolar disorder experience periods of intense highs and lows, often referred to as mania and depression. Symptoms of mania can include: excessive talkativeness, excessive spending, impulsive behavior, and extreme optimism. Symptoms of depression can include: fatigue, difficulty concentrating, changes in appetite, and feelings of hopelessness.

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by difficulty concentrating, impulsivity, and hyperactivity. Symptoms of ADHD can include: difficulty following instructions, forgetfulness, difficulty organizing tasks, and difficulty paying attention.

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is a mental health disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts and repetitive behaviors. People with OCD often feel compelled to perform certain tasks or rituals to relieve anxiety. Common symptoms of OCD can include: repetitive hand washing, counting, checking, and hoarding.

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is a mental health disorder that can occur after a person has experienced a traumatic event, such as a natural disaster, violent attack, or an accident. Symptoms of PTSD can include flashbacks, nightmares, difficulty sleeping, difficulty concentrating, and avoidance of reminders of the traumatic event.

Substance Abuse

Substance abuse is the misuse or overuse of drugs or alcohol, often resulting in physical and psychological dependence. Substance abuse can lead to serious health problems and can even be fatal. Common signs of substance abuse can include changes in mood, changes in behavior, and withdrawal from activities.

Eating Disorders

Eating disorders are mental health disorders characterized by extreme disturbance in eating behaviors. Examples of eating disorders include anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge eating disorder. Symptoms of eating disorders can include restrictive eating, purging, compulsive exercise, and extreme concern with body weight and shape.

Autism

Autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by difficulty with social interaction, communication, and behavior. Symptoms of autism can include repetitive behaviors, difficulty with social interactions, and difficulty with communication.