What is a late phase response in allergic rhinitis

measqu

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some help understanding what a late phase response in allergic rhinitis is. I have heard the term before but I'm not sure what it means and how it is related to allergies. Can anyone give me some insight into this topic? Any information or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Late phase response (LPR) in allergic rhinitis is an immunological reaction that occurs several hours after an allergen has been inhaled. It is characterized by an influx of inflammatory cells and mediators that cause nasal congestion, sneezing, and itchy eyes. It is thought to be responsible for the prolonged symptoms of allergic rhinitis, which can last into the evening and even overnight.

Symptoms of Late Phase Response

The symptoms of LPR in allergic rhinitis are similar to those of an acute allergic reaction, but they may be more intense and last longer. These can include nasal congestion, sneezing, itchy eyes, and a runny nose. Other possible symptoms include facial pressure, fatigue, and headaches.

Causes of Late Phase Response

LPR in allergic rhinitis is caused by an overreaction of the immune system when it encounters an allergen. Once inhaled, the allergen triggers an increase in inflammatory cells and mediators, which can cause the symptoms of LPR.

Treatments for Late Phase Response

Treating LPR in allergic rhinitis can be done with medications such as antihistamines, decongestants, and corticosteroids. These medications can help reduce the symptoms of LPR, but they may not be effective in preventing it. Allergy shots may also be used to reduce the severity of LPR. In some cases, immunotherapy may be recommended to reduce the body's sensitivity to allergens.